
This totally speaks of Jacob's all-or-nothing personality! He got a bike for his birthday back in March, and he rode it once or twice and then didn't want to again. We went on walks during the summer and would have the kids ride their bikes, but Jacob was absolutely paranoid about any crack in the sidewalk or driveways that dipped because he felt unsteady as the bike shifted onto the training wheels. After watching his friend, Owen, zipping all over the place on his bike without training wheels, he decided the training wheels were holding him back. He begged and begged me to take them off. At first I said he needed to learn to ride the bike with the training wheels before he could ride it without. But his insistence was so steady, and the pleading look in his eyes so piercing, I had a change of heart. He kept promising me that he would be able to ride his bike without the training wheels on the first try. I prayed he wouldn't be disappointed. And sure enough, on the first time Bruce took him across the street to the school parking lot, he was able to do it with Bruce's help starting off. Then, the next time Bruce helped him learn how to get started by himself. That was early August, it's October now, and Jacob is whizzing all over the neighborhood on his bike. Who needs a crutch to lean on? Just jump in and do it. What determination and will-power!
1 comment:
Hooray for Jacob! I'm glad he's enjoying all his activities.
Hooray for Shauna!! I was so excited to check you blog tonight and see that you had posted! Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment